Top Attractions in Annecy, France

March 1, 2016| France | Annecy| Cities

 

Visitors to Annecy can enjoy a great many attractions and is very rich in historical monuments.

The Visitation Basilica is located on the edge of the Cret du Maure forest and was founded by Francois de Sales and Jeanne de Chantai in 1960. The building represents this unique architecture of the church.

The Conservatory of Art and History is located in a seminary that was built in the seventeenth century by the Bishop of Geneva. This site is the location to several paintings from the seventeenth and eighteenth century. Many of the paintings are comprised of work by Mont-Blanc.

The Notre Dame-de-Liesse Church was built in 1851 and it replaced an earlier structure built in the thirteenth century. The Sardinian administration had this neo-classical style building commissioned. Instructions were given to preserve the existing clock tower and well as part of the gothic walls.

Saint Peter's Cathedral was constructed during the sixteenth century and this building served as the first chapel for the Franciscan convent. During the Revolution this building was converted to a temple dedicated to the Goddess Reason until 1822 when it once again became a Cathedral.

The de Sales House was built by the Sales family during the seventeenth century. It was used as the home of the prince of the House of Savoie and eventually became the primary Bank of Savoie. It was at this location that bank notes were printed in direct competition to the Bank of France. Many of the art work that makes up the facade on the building represents the four different seasons.

The Perriere Gate is a thick wall that connects the city's castle with this gate and protected the city from the people who entered into the city.

Saint-Maurice Church is the former church of the Dominicans as was created during the fifteenth century and it represents the flamboyant Gothic style of the time. Several chapels make up this church and were built by different noble families or artesian corporations from 1478 and on. The building also holds the painting, "trompe l'noeil."

By